!!! Application deadline 19 April !!!
Media Studies at the University of Amsterdam announces the following positions to be filled:
– Assistant Professor in New Media and Digital Culture
– Associate Professor in Media and Culture
Assistant Professor of New Media and Digital Culture
30h per week (0.8 FTE)
vacancy number 09-3010
The ideal candidate would have familiarity with the study of digital media in the humanities, and have made acquaintance with such areas as cyberculture, digital humanities, information aesthetics and visualization, Internet studies, media arts, media history, media theory and/or virtual ethnography. Internet skills are essential, as is up-to-date knowledge of Internet culture. Practical experience in working with Web-based applications (e.g., blogs and wikis) is desirable.
The new media and digital culture team is part of the Media Studies department and concerns itself with research strategies for the critical study of Internet culture. The Assistant Professor is expected to teach on both the bachelor’s and master’s degree levels, in courses concerned with such topics as digital journalism, digital aesthetics, Internet research methods and techniques, media archaeology as well as the politics of code.
Candidates also should have a new media research agenda.
– Teaching and developing teaching activities both as part of and outside the Media and Culture programme
– (Co-)supervising Bachelor’s and Master’s theses
– Independently conducting research in the area mentioned, resulting in contributions to leading international publications
– Co-supervising PhD candidates
– Making a contribution to raising contract and indirect funding
– Relevant PhD degree
– Experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by publications in renowned international professional journals / book form
– Teaching experience at the university level and demonstrable didactic abilities and / or training, evidence by an educational portfolio
– Experience with digital and audio-visual equipment; affinity with ICT in academic education
– Team spirit and capable of functioning at all levels of more than one study programme
– Willingness to develop in a multidisciplinary capacity in order to be able to participate in multiple areas of the Faculty’s curriculum
– Organisational experience and skills
– Thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve fluency in Dutch within two years
Further information about this vacancy can be obtained from prof. dr. Frank van Vree, Chair of the department Media Studies, Telephone +31-(0)20-5253847, e-mail f.p.i.m.vanvree [at] uva.nl.
This is a temporary appointment for two years. The gross monthly salary will range from € 3,195 (scale 11) to € 4,970 (scale 12), based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week).
Applications should include a curriculum vitae and should be sent before 19 April 2009 to the Universiteit van Amsterdam, to the attention of the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Ms Prof Dr J.F.T.M. van Dijck, Spuistraat 210, 1012 VT Amsterdam.
Please state the vacancy number in the upper left corner of the envelope. The selection process will include a trial lecture.
You may also submit your application by e-mail; solliciteren2009-fgw [at] uva.nl.
In this case please state the vacancy number in the subject field.
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Media and Culture 1.0 FTE
vacancy number 09-3012
with a specialization in Media History and Media Theory, particularly Media Archeology.
We expect our prospective colleague to be a strong team player with expertise in the areas of Media History and Media Theory, particularly Media Archeology. Publication records should show affinity with critical-theoretical approaches to media, and a broad knowledge of media theory within the humanities. Besides a strong academic record and excellent pedagogical skills, we expect the candidate to have proven leadership qualities, as he/she will have coordinating tasks with teaching programs.
– A PhD in the field of Media Studies or other relevant field of the humanities
– At least five years of teaching experience, preferably at various levels of university education; an interest in new methods of teaching (especially the use of audio-visual digital technology and electronic learning environments)
– Outstanding research skills, demonstrated by publications in international refereed academic journals and academic publishers
– Fundraising experience, e.g. acquisition of research projects through government agencies or the private sector
– Experience in supervising PhD research
– Proven leadership qualities; experience in administration, organisation and coordination of university education and research
– Enthusiasm, an interdisciplinary attitude, a strong team spirit and the ability to motivate team members
– Sound knowledge of ICT developments in the field
– Flexibility, readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation and multidisciplinary development
– Excellent command of both Dutch and English; preferably international teaching experience. If Dutch is not the native language, an active and passive command should be acquired within two years of appointment
For further information, please contact Professor Frank van Vree, Chair of the Department of Media Studies, tel. 020-525 2980, e-mail f.p.i.m.vanvree [at] uva.nl.
This is a tenure track appointment, which means that the initial appointment will be two years. Depending on teaching evaluations and professional assessment, tenure will be granted after two years. Gross monthly salary for a fulltime appointment (38 hours a week) will be between €4,428 (scale 13) and €5,920 (scale 14).
Application letter and CV should be addressed to the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, professor dr. J.F.T.M. van Dijck, Spuistraat 210, 1012 VT Amsterdam. The application deadline is 20 April 2007. The top left-hand corner of the envelope should be marked with the vacancy number and the words “strictly confidential”.
Alternatively, applications may be e-mailed to ‘solliciteren2009-fgw [at] uva.nl’
Please indicate the vacancy number in the subject field.