folly, a leading digital arts organisation working in the Northwest of England and online, is delighted to invite proposals from artists/artist groups for our developing project, Portable Pixel Playground, a unique and imaginative environment that offers children and young people alternative play opportunities with art and technology. The playground encourages children to get active, think differently, collaborate and take risks through being exposed to new concepts and challenges created by artists.
Portable Pixel Playground is a modular set of equipment and artists’ commissions for use in public settings such as shopping centres, galleries and railway stations. Portable Pixel Playground encourages young people to use everyday technologies in new and creative ways, providing them with interactive, physical and hands-on new experiences of art and technology.
Submitting a proposal:
Please download the full artists’ brief at http://www.folly.co.uk/click/1408/99
Please send an initial statement of interest of maximum 500 words explaining how you would meet the PPP brief, with drawings/visuals if possible, plus a proposed outline budget, to:
Tor Townley, Portable Pixel Playground Project Co-ordinator
tor.townley ‘at’ folly.co.uk
folly, 6.4.4 Alston House, White Cross, Lancaster LA1 4XQ
+44 (0)1524 388550
Please include an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form with your proposal, available to download from the folly website. This information will be used solely for monitoring purposes and will be kept in the strictest confidence. You are not obliged to fill in this form, but it will assist us if you do so. It will not be seen by those considering your proposal.
Deadline for proposals: Friday 3 July 2009
Fees and contractual details:
* Each PPP commission will be a collaboration between folly and selected artist(s): artists will work closely with the PPP Project Manager and folly team throughout the development of each commission
* Total artist’s budget for each commission: £4,000 (including fees and materials)
* folly will invest time and funding resources into each commission and the playground over and above each commission fee – to be negotiated for individual projects.
* A separate budget for the transport of artwork will be agreed
* Artist’s travel/expenses: to be discussed and agreed with folly according to location, number of meetings etc
Portable Pixel Playground is supported by the Big Lottery Fund