University of Amsterdam
Faculty of the Humanities
Assistant Professor of Arts and New Media
full-time (38 hours per week)
vacancy number 10-3048
With support from a generous financial endowment by the “Duurzame Geesteswetenschappen” (Sustainable Humanities Project), the Faculty of Humanities is able to employ a new generation of scholars. This position is for one of them.
The successful candidate will be a scholar who takes an active interest into the development of new theoretical and analytical approaches to the arts. Innovative crossovers between fine arts, music, theatre, performance and new media, their role in public and private domains and new forms of (re)presentation require new histories and theories of relations between the arts and new media.
* Teaching and developing teaching activities as part of the programmes Art History, Music, Theatre and Performance and Media (60% of the time)
* (Co-)supervising Bachelor’s and Master’s theses
* Independently conducting research in the area mentioned, resulting in contributions to leading international publications (40% of the time)
* Co-supervising PhD candidates
* Making a contribution to raising contract and indirect funding
* Relevant PhD degree
* Experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by publications in renowned international professional journals or in book form
* Multidisciplinary background in order to be able to participate in multiple areas of the Faculty’s curriculum
* Teaching experience at the university level and demonstrable didactic abilities and/or training, evidenced by an educational portfolio
* Experience with digital and audio-visual equipment; affinity with ICT in academic education
* Team spirit and organisational experience and skills
* Thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve fluency in Dutch within two years
Further information can be obtained from Prof. Deborah Cherry (), Prof. Kati Röttger (), Prof. Rokus de Groot ().
See for more information about the research priority areas
www.hum.uva.nl/research/priority-areas.cfm and for the BA and MA programmes
The initial appointment will be in the Department of Art, Religion and Cultural Studies on a temporary basis for a period of no more than two years. Subject to satisfactory performance, this will be followed by a permanent appointment. You will teach in this Department, but also for a minimum of 300 hours (teaching related duties) in the Department of Media Studies. There may also be an option to teach in the programmes of the College of Humanities or Graduate School for Humanities. You will carry out research within the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) or the Institute of Culture and History (ICG). The gross monthly salary will range from €3,195 (scale 11) to €4,970 (scale 12), based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week).
Applications should be sent before 17 November 2010 to the Universiteit van Amsterdam, to the attention of the dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Prof. J.F.T.M. van Dijck, Spuistraat 210, 1012 VT Amsterdam. Please state the vacancy number in the upper left corner of the envelope. You may also submit your application by email; . In this case please state the vacancy number in the subject field.
Applications should include:
* a curriculum vitae
* a research proposal related to one of the research priority areas: ‘Cultural Transformations and Globalisation’ (ASCA) or ‘Cultural Heritage and Identity’ (ICG)
* a proposal for a course, which potentially fits in the Faculty’s curriculum
The selection process will include a trial lecture. The interviews and trial lectures are scheduled for December 20, 2010. Invitations for the interviews and lectures will be sent out by December 6, 2010.