CALL FOR ARTISTS:
This new £5,000 commission seeks to help realise a visual art work, developed through the theme of ‘electricity’ for exhibition during the Manchester Science Festival (October 22 – November 1, 2015). The final work will create public debate around the role of electricity in our lives and may engage. We are keen to hear from artists working across genres from digital and mixed media to craft and performance. Thematic areas may include attention to the future of electricity, forms of sculptural lighting, smart grid design, laser and alternative fuel sources.
We want to hear your ideas at this stage but would anticipate that the final piece will be informed by dialogue with Manchester Science Festival (MSF), University of Salford, and Electricity North West.
– Please write a 250-500 word proposal for your idea and include drawings and images where appropriate (PDF format). Include any information you can at this stage about what you need to make it happen (including time, resources and budget).
– Include a PDF of images and information to evidence your previous work.
– Articulate in which ways the work will stimulate public engagement with the science and technologies of electricity.
– The art works will be installed or performed within the Manchester Science Festival programme (location to be confirmed).
– Please let us know your anticipated technical and installation requirements.
– Projects must have a designated lead who will be the key contact with the Festival team and who will be responsible for submitting a brief evaluation report about the event upon completion.
– Please indicate your availability for the panel selection on 15th June.
Electricity North West – The Future
The Science and Art of Electricity, 1914
Beyond/In Artists Who Engage in the Theme of Electricity and Alternating Currents
Announcement of commission: Monday 11th May 2015
Deadline for Proposals: Monday 8th June 2015, 12.00pm
Selection Panel: Monday 15th June 2015 12.00pm – 2.00pm
Winner notified: Tuesday 16th June 2015
Development of project: 16th June – 3rd July 2015
Final details input into MSF online submission: Friday 3rd July 2015, 12.00pm
PR activity: September/October 2015
MSF Launch: Thursday 8th October 2015
Manchester Science Festival: Thursday 22nd October – Sunday 1st November 2015
Please send your submissions to msf [at] mosi.org.uk